Life is Better At Camp: Water Color


      I have always very much enjoyed traditional water colors; I taught myself how to use them when I was about 16 years old, and fell in love with them as my favorite form of paint. I've dabbled in acrylic, and oil, but there's something about water color. The way that it moves, the way that it dries, and how versatile it can be. The colors can be as translucent or as deep as you want, and that sort of freedom really draws me to watercolor.
     Currently however, I have been really interested in watercolor pencils in particular. I never really understood them or how to use them, and I still am not sure I'm even using them "the right way" (there's no such thing when it comes to art, really). Either way though, I have been having a great time experimenting and seeing what they can do. I am addicted to the feeling of taking a sketchy looking mess, and turning it into a beautiful watercolor with depth, and feeling just by adding some water. They really are an interesting medium, and can do a lot of different things. I really am looking forward to diving deeper into this new hobby and e this summer.
     In general I've been having a lot of fun painting sweet little campers. I definitely want to expand my camper repertoire, but for now I've been drawing my own version of a small teardrop or Airstream type campers.




      Here are some close ups of the tiny details in the painting. This one took me about an hour to complete. For this one I tried a new technique for the water with a product from ColourCraft (a UK company) called Brusho Colors. They're basically just a powdered version of watercolor, and they can make some pretty cool effects if you just play around with them. By adding a lot of water, and sprinkling them on I achieved this really neat water look. I'm interested to see what else I can use these for! As for smaller details of the tree bark, and lining the image in general, I use either a Micron pen or one from a brand called EK Tools. I usually use between a .20mm or a .35mm nib for everything, but my campers get the big .65mm nibs to really help them stand out. It also adds a bit of that cartoon look that I really love to add in all my art.


     Thanks so much for checking out my little painting, and I hope it could give you a little inspiration to try something new! Don't forget to bookmark PAJE. and share with your friends! See you next post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OOTD #1 : Flowy Artist

OOTD #2: Athletic Leisure

Sketchbook Close Ups #1: My Girls