Among the Trees: Water Color

Click to enlarge

     There are few things I like to draw more than trees. I was that weird kid that would go outside and tell her favorite tree how her day went. And when I worked for a campground for several years, I spent a lot of time with trees; caring for trees, sketching the same trees, on the same beach, every summer. I've always been in love with trees- Now whether that came naturally, or came from my father's own love and original profession of being a landscaper, is up for debate. What I do know is that tree studies are my favorite studies. So you will probably see many tree paintings in the future.



This was a quick 20 minute painting, but I love how it turned out.

     So what is it about trees that is so fun to draw? They're as different and unique as the human body. Trees have their own stories, their own feeling, and their own look. Their bark is like an endless fingerprint--detailed, and different when you really look at each different trunk. I could go on, I mean, who doesn't absolutely appreciate trees? They help us to live. To breathe. They protect us, feed us, and sometimes provide a fun place to swing. Or have a picnic under their shady branches.



     I could never imagine myself living in a place that doesn't have trees the way we do here. Where I live, in the Adirondack Mountains, I'm constantly surrounded by trees. There is no endless horizon, unless you count the range of mountains; we are absolutely surrounded by forest.

   I really encourage everyone to get out there, and be in the trees. Take a walk on a nearby nature trail, or venture off into a new wilderness you've never seen before. Take time to notice how many different kinds of tress their are. Keep your eyes open for saplings that may need a little support. If you're in a city, find a green park, a rooftop garden, or maybe even just invite in a potted citrus tree into your apartment. It all sounds like such cliche, hippy-dippy tree hugging talk, but nature really is where we need to be.

     Thanks for hanging out with me, and I'll see you in the next blog post!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OOTD #1 : Flowy Artist

OOTD #2: Athletic Leisure

Sketchbook Close Ups #1: My Girls